Served as dean 1989 – 1998
We are saddened to share the news of the death in January 2020 of Dr. Borje K. Gustafsson, a former department head at our college and an international leader in veterinary education and theriogenology. We honor his commitment to veterinary profession. He will be greatly missed.
- Served as interim dean for eight months before being appointed into the permanent position in April of 1989.
- Strategic planning to accommodate unprecedented change was carried forward.
- Oversaw the most fundamental curriculum reform in the school’s history.
- Oversaw building the federally funded $22.7 million Animal Disease Biotechnology Facility and the $38 million Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
- Became a faculty member of the University of Illinois’ veterinary program after leaving WSU.
- Elected as a foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture in 1997.
- Received the “Peter Hernquist” Gold Medal of the Swedish Veterinary Association in 2002.